Sotheby’s and eBay Announce Art Auction Partnership – artmarketblog.com
In a surprising move that evokes memories of their past failed partnership, Sotheby’s has announced a partnership with with eBay to make art and collectibles from Sotheby’s live auctions available to eBay’s 145 million active buyers.
The two companies have joined forces to develop what they describe as “an innovative online platform that will make it easier for millions of people worldwide to discover, browse and acquire exceptional works of art, antiques and collectibles.”
eBay and Sotheby’s will inaugurate their partnership with a number of live auctions at Sotheby’s headquarters in New York that will utilize a newly-designed “experience” to be launched on the eBay site in the near future.
The new eBay “experience” will cover 18 collectible categories and will be tailored to collectors of art and premium collectibles. In the future the partnership will expand to include themed and time-based sales as well as live auction from Sotheby’s other global salesrooms.
“The growth of the art market, new generation technology and our shared strengths make this the right time for this exciting new online opportunity,” said Bruno Vinciguerra, Sotheby’s Chief Operating Officer.
“We are joining with eBay to make our sales more accessible to the broadest possible audience around the world.”
**Nicholas Forrest is a Sydney/London based art market analyst, art consultant and writer. He is the founder of the Art Market Blog (artmarketblog.com) which offers independent commentaries as well as research and analysis on the current art market, and has recently been published in Fabrik magazine, Verve magazine, Visual Art Beat magazine, Australian Art Collector magazine, Art & Investment magazine and many others. Nic has made several radio appearances (both nationally and internationally) as an art market expert and has received press from the likes of the New York Times, Conde Nast Portfolio and Times of London.
- Evaluating Art Auction Results Pt. 4 – artmarketblog.com
- Evaluating Art Auction Results Pt. 1 – artmarketblog.com
- Portraits as Art Market Currency pt. 3 – artmarketblog.com
- Portraits as Art Market Currency Pt. 2 – artmarketblog.com
- 2010 Art Market Status Report – 2nd half – artmarketblog.com
- Phillips and Tumblr Announce First Auction of Digital Art – artmarketblog.com
- Ex-Sotheby’s Heavyweights Launch New Online Art Auction Site – artmarketblog.com
- Top Online Art Auction Sites – artmarketblog.com
- Sotheby’s Smash Warhol Auction Record with “Silver Car Crash” – artmarketblog.com
- Exciting Online Art Auction News – artmarketblog.com