Britain Selects Sarah Lucas for 2015 Venice Biennale – artmarketblog.com
The British Council has announced that Sarah Lucas has been selected to represent Britain at the 56th Venice International Art Biennale where she will present a major solo show in the British Pavilion which will run from 9 May to 22 November 2015.
Lucas is one of the original members of the YBAs (Young British Aritsts), a group of artists that emerged in London the 1980s and were active through the 1990s. According to the British Council, her practice can be characterised by its irreverent humour and clever use of “readymade” objects.
“In recent years, Sarah Lucas has affirmed her status as a leading international artist with exhibitions in Berlin, Glasgow, Leeds, London, Mexico City, New York and Vienna,” says Gregor Muir, Executive Director, Institute of Contemporary Art, London.
“Having consistently pushed the limits of her practice, there’s a sense that Lucas – seemingly more active than ever – is coming into her own.”
Sarah Lucas is represented by Sadie Coles HQ, London; Gladstone Gallery, New York; Kurimanzutto, Mexico City and CFA, Berlin. Her latest exhibitions include a survey at Tramway, Glasgow (2014); “NOB + Gelatin” at Secession, Vienna (2013-14); and “SITUATION Absolute Beach Man Rubble” at Whitechapel Gallery, London (2013).
*Nicholas Forrest is a Sydney/London based art market analyst, art consultant and writer. He is the founder of the Art Market Blog (artmarketblog.com) which offers independent commentaries as well as research and analysis on the current art market, and has recently been published in Fabrik magazine, Verve magazine, Visual Art Beat magazine, Australian Art Collector magazine, Art & Investment magazine and many others. Nic has made several radio appearances (both nationally and internationally) as an art market expert and has received press from the likes of the New York Times, Conde Nast Portfolio and Times of London.
- Sotheby’s Smash Warhol Auction Record with “Silver Car Crash” – artmarketblog.com
- Christie’s Claims First Independent Art Auction in Mainland China – artmarketblog.com
- Paddle8 Launch Changing The World Through Art Auction – artmarketblog.com
- A Period of Maturation for the American Art Market, Pt. 1 – artmarketblog.com
- Is Uruguay the Art Market’s Next Big Thing? – artmarketblog.com
- The 2008 SYDNEY BIENNALE Art Fair – artmarketblog.com
- Herb Williams' Obama Portrait Video – artmarketblog.com
- Biennale of Sydney for Collectors and Investors – artmarketblog.com
- Art Fairs, Exhibitions, Auctions and Other Stuff – artmarketblog.com
- The Beautiful Art Revival: A Passion for the Pre-Raphaelites – artmarketblog.com